Monday, June 2, 2008

Quality for which Malibu Based their reputation On





Now I have a refund check for my JBL in hand and want to install a radio/IPod controlled unit in my Malibu. Of course Malibu made no provisions for this so you guessed it either I kiss my glovebox good by or get creative with my storage locker where the my amps are.  
Now I proceed to remove the the Jbl and start working on my strategy for my stereo. Here where I get my first up close example of quality, Ready When I pull the panel in the storage area away their is the radio connected by what appears to be a bunch of butt crimp connectors(understand that this is still a unsealed electrical connection when moisture from the air gets in it can corrode and destroy the connection most marine installers will solder and heat shrink their connection) and then on top of that a huge ball of wire from the Usb/Mini audio connector at least 20ft of wire(see Pic) (someone didn't order the right length) Not excited so far then go to the drivers side to run a sub wire when I see even more butt connectors and even better a very large 4 ga positive feed wire sitting on the ground strip spade connectors ready to wear it away and eventually shorting out the entire electrical system(see Pic).
Along with this I find numerous loose screws all over the boat keep in mind the boat was only 5-7hrs old and I was already enjoying my new boat being on my back having to put a stereo in since the factory one was a dud and no fix on the horizon. This is only the start.....

No comments: